Based on the U.S. Surgeon General’s Protecting Youth Mental Health advisory, this Try to minimize negative influences and behaviors in young people’s lives resource (from our What Families and Caregivers Can Do series) highlights 7 important steps that families and caregivers can take to minimize negative influences in the lives of children and young people.
- Talk about the risks of using alcohol.
- Talk about the risks of using drugs.
- Explain that mental health & substance use problems can occur together.
- Talk about the risks of peer pressure.
- Talk about negative media influences.
- Acknowledge appropriate behaviors.
- Encourage appropriate coping skills.
To read the full Protecting Youth Mental Health advisory, please visit: https://www.hhs.gov/sites/default/files/surgeon-general-youth-mental-health-advisory.pdf